At last Tuesday nights meeting Council voted to close the mulch facilty at Glenhuntly Park. Item 9.7 dealt with this issue -http://www.gleneira.vic.gov.au/Files/April05-2011AGENDA.pdf an independent consultant had been engaged in Nov 2010 to investigate potential health risks and operating procedures at the site in Neerim rd and prepare a report-
This report made the following recommendations -
1) Prevent large accumulation or build-up of mulch material at the site, (i.e. contain as is reasonably practicable the mulch stockpile within the confines of the current storage area. If necessary stockpile the material at a Council deport and truck it to the Neerim Road facility as required.
2) Provide training, instructions, information and appropriate personal protective equipment to Council employees likely to come in contact with this material.
3) The personal protective equipment that is recommended for Council employees handling the mulch material is disposal dust mask (P2), gloves and washing of hands after use.
4) Install a localized fine mist spray system that can be activated, with a push button to dampen dust, for members of the public, to use when collecting mulch.
5) Provide warning signage and flyers in waterproof container with a warning notice that mulch users can take away for reference purposes.
6) Personal protective equipment is also recommended for members of the public, but this is a recommendation that should be communicated through signage at the site as per the warnings that appear on commercially available products -
The mulch facilty is very close to a childrens playground and also Glen Eira secondary school-Ultimately I felt whilst acknowledging that the risk of bacterial infection was low it was still unacceptable and the present facilty was in a very poor location-as such I was happy to support Cr. Penhalluriack's motion to close the facilty.