Here is the final motion passed by Council on Wednesday night - Please see my comments after for further explanation; full details including the preceding report are available in the links- GESAC basketball decision- opposite lower right -starts at page 127 of minutes-use search option at top
Sat 17.12 9.30am Please note have withdrawn prev comment on Cr. Esakoff's voting reason.
1. Note that:
(a) As the result of a fair and proper Expression of Interest (EoI)
process, the use of the GESAC indoor courts for basketball was allocated to the Warriors;
(b) In the interests of maximising the use of the GESAC indoor courts
by the community, Council's preferred position is that the basketball allocation be shared between the Warriors and the McKinnon Basketball Association (MBA); and
(c) Notwithstanding the allocation referred to in (a), the Warriors have indicated a willingness to share that allocation with the MBA.
2. Allocate the use of the GESAC indoor courts to the Warriors on Fridays from 6pm to 11pm and Sundays from 9am to 11pm.
3. Allocate the use of the GESAC indoor courts to the MBA on Saturdays from 8am to 11pm subject to the MBA agreeing by January 15 2012 to provide two alternative basketball courts to the Warriors from 8am to 7pm on Saturdays to the reasonable satisfaction of the Warriors, or, if such agreement is not reached, or observed, allocate the GESAC indoor courts to the Warriors on Saturdays from 8am to 7pm.
4. In all other respects, apply the terms and conditions of the allocation referred to in 1(a) to the use of the courts by the Warriors and,if applicable, to the MBA.
5. Authorise officers to give effect to this resolution.
6. Incorporate this resolution and this report in the public Minutes of this Meeting apart from Council's legal advice at section 3.4 of this report and in the attachments.
Cr Magee called for a Division on voting of the SUBSTANTIVE MOTION
The SUBSTANTIVE MOTION was put and CARRIED on the casting Vote of the Chairperson (Mayor Cr. Hyams)
Comment - Only a sucessful motion is recorded according to minutes guidelines. This means that motions voted down including those that myself and Cr.Magee had proposed (see Dec 10 post) are not recorded- We certainly did our best in this regard.
This is a very disappointing decision and a motion that I could not support as it effectively in my view hands the allocation to the Warriors and relies on their benevolance in accommodating the McKinnon Basketball Assoc, a situation that I can't see happenning.
As such there will be over 1400 players and families not participating at GESAC this year. This allocation is for twelve months - There needs to be a far better process in place next year to prevent this unfortunate situation occurring again