Thought Id express a few thoughts and experiences since sending the
red commodore to the recyclers in early June.
The pros and cons of being on 2 self-propelled wheels in the
est 600 km peddled so far in our municipality include-
- mostly very enjoyable!
- definately fitter
- lost 2 kgs
- short trips upto 5 km can be quicker than the car
- no parking hassles
- saved approx $400 in petrol and 0.7 tonnes co2 emmissions
- no lance armstrong but find can now ride in far higher gears
- further appreciate the importance of bike lanes
- always seem to be facing a stiff head-wind when heading along Glen Eira rd to City Hall , metaphor?
- have got wet few times , without coat
- longer trips more challenging to organise especially nth to
south across transport lines
Especially on the shorter trips say upto 5 km cycling is a great means
of transport with significant side benefits-
Most car journeys undertaken in melb i understand are of this length or less.
There is definately an greater role for cycling to play as a serious
transport option in our community.
Glen Eira Bicycle Strategy
This strategy is currently being formulated and researched- I am pleased that this will include consultations with both cyclists and non-cyclists throughout GE, before being presented to council I would hope later in the year